Thursday, March 15, 2007

Ek Cutting Pee Liya. Mumbai Ko Jee Liye.

Maa Kasam!! Aaj apunka icch day tha!! I spent the day jumping rickshaws and walking the streets of Powai, Vile Parle, Santa Cruz, Khar and Chakala, Andheri. Mumbai is such an amazing city. Apart from the foot tapping Bollywood music I heard on my walks at the Paan Beedi Shacks, the talks of the World Cup echo in my ears. I even indulged a dude named Lokesh at a chai stall in a heart warming talk about 'Black Friday' while we sipped 'cuttings'. Lokesh is an apprentice at a Stationery Mart and his specialty spans from making photocopies to using Adobe Photoshop to scan and color correct images. Lokesh had some theories about the long and painful process of the investigation. Nadeem on the other hand claimed that it has to do with politicians playing who's a money maker and who's not. Nadeem owns the chai stall and his associate Gullu had just returned from the Hanuman Mandir. Gullu simply summarized the aftermaths as a political game. "Sab saala milelay, ek hi jaath waala, paise ka jaath!"

As for Black Friday, I hold the movie and book close to my heart since I have experienced the pain, anger and frustration of losing my cousin at the Stock Exchange blasts. The scars still simmer but we have had to move on. Girish's only fault was that he decided to get an early sandwich and return to watch the numbers. They found his remains with a glass shrapnel stuck in his throat. Harsh reality. Mumbai has moved on. The spirit of this city beats in my heart and I love being called a Mumbaikar.

I decided to weave some lines together this evening since I've had a great day and I can't stop describing how much I love this city and it's people. Even though I had three rickshaw wallahs almost run me over (one guy actually drove his wheel over my foot, but it didn't hurt cause I'm a big guy :|) and some two wheeler riding Hrithik Roshans' cuss at me, I loved every moment of it. It's not an everyday spectacle in Los Angeles when someone screams "Dekh Ke Chal Re, Aye Hero!" Most of all, not many So-Californians know that I'm a hero. So I walked around the streets trying to take some pictures which I will post momentarily and had a lot of good company from bystanders. Not to mention all the little boys and girls eager to pose screaming "saab hamara bhi photo lo na!" Gladly!

I'm still looking for the perfect Fiat taxi with intricate sticker work and tastefully carved bezels on the hood describing where it's from and the friendly, horn ok please sign. I get a kick out of such detail. On my last trip I spent a whole afternoon at the Vile Parle East market clicking pictures and it was amazing! I'm not a professional shutterbug but I feel there are so many compositions out there and all we have to do is find the right light and frame. Lunch was a simple meal at Aashra Lunch Home with some 'pecial' pav bhaji and hot bhajias interspersed with spiced gutli slices and lasoon chutney. Topped off with a Dukes lemonade. Perfect!

The highlight of the day was joining me mama and the both of us jumping into a Cool Cab and going to Ramkrishna Mission in Khar. Khar West has changed a lot since I saw it in 2002. The roads have widened, there are a few more boutiques selling branded clothing to the slightly upper middle class bourgeois and most of all a heck-a-lotta gold merchants. I was saddened to see that Akbarallys had shut down. This mini-mall of sorts was my favorite haunt as a kid since it boasted of the best electronic stuff and a grand toy shop. Hey, I bought my first Leo Mattel assault rifle from there, yeah.

So, there you have it; another day in Mumbai. As I sit and sip my Nayak's coffee, I am looking forward to another day of revelry soon as I will widen my horizons and haunt the Powai fish market in search of the biggest mackerels.... More in some more days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home