Monday, May 08, 2006

A Slice of History

Believed to be a turnip-cabbage hybrid from Bohemia (part of Slovakia), the rutabaga originated in the early 1600s. Well suited to northern climates, it spread to Britain and Scandinavia. The name comes from the Swedish, rotbagga. In Scotland, it's a popular accompaniment to haggis (haggis and neeps).

Look for a shiny, fairly smooth surface and bright purple color. Avoid those that are woody, dull or faded looking. Keep rutabaga in a cool, dry place, or in the refrigerator. Waxed rutabaga will keep for up to 3 months. Rutabagas can be found the year round in Texas, although they are not common in most retail outlets due to low demand. Locally grown rutabaga should be on the market from April through July and from October through December.

Now, why in the world, would I post an article on rutabagas? They seem as harmless and unobtrusive as your neighbor's toolbox. The question lingered on mind while I copied and pasted this article aimlessly with the agility of a garden squirrel. I've come to realize in my infinite wisdom that my life's sine curve resembles the silhouette of a shiny, fairly smooth rutabaga. Not long ago did I actually have a life and now I've been reduced to indentifying with vegetables. My sense of humor beckons a dying breed of individuals who've surpassed every limit, left every stone turned on the highway of humor. Ladies and gentlemen, I am as dry as a colostomy bag on a rather hot day in the Sahara.

(Photo: tamu.edu
information: humgrymonster.com)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home