Sunday, April 03, 2005

Woe to you, O Earth...

It's pretty late, if not very. The sound of fingers running wild on a fret board echoed in my ears as I lied in bed with the headphones booming 'Juanita'. I couldn't help but start to think about how to best pen or simply key a 'melee' of words to describe the pleasure I derive from listening to these perfected symphonies. The credit goes to Adrian Smith, Janick Gers and Dave Murray who have made the term, 'harmony solos' synonymous with Maiden anthems. It feels like as I grow older, my appreciation for Maiden grows stronger. "If you had the time to lose, an open mind, a time to choose, would you care to take a look, or can you read men like a book.."

When lead and rhythm guitar players serve a solo in absolute unison, it feels like there's nothing better. Be it, the wild intro to the futuristic 'Somewhere in time', the menacing 'Genghis Khan' or the lonely 'Juanita', the craft has been perfected, like I said! There, 'Somewhere in Time's playing right now. I've been listening to this album for more than nine years now and still the sound remains, fresh and pure. A good, uncompromising taste of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal.

Then, there's the lyrical content. '22 Acacia Avenue' or 'Sheriff of Huddersfield', capture the beauty and diversity, the City of Angels has to offer. On the one hand Dickinson assures you that if you're feeling down and need a place to go where you're accepted for what you are, 22's the Avenue to go. Meanwhile, the Sheriff of Huddersfield's locked in his castle, hocking and spitting while trying to acclimatize his methods in this mighty city.

My eyes are decieving me right now, the clock is going to jump a good hour as we into Day Light Savings time. I'm going hit the sack. To summarize, Maiden rulz and Rock lives on!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home