Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Dope Sick Love. An Overwhelming Dirge.

To me, a drug user was just another individual caught in the spiral of addiction. But the extent of the addiction, the appalling state of affairs where in one is consumed by it was something I witnessed today to the fullest possible extent. And I don’t hate the user, I sympathize. The withdrawals are painfully real and the urge for that next score is far too influential. I watched, and I learnt something.
Most people know the magnitude of the damages that narcotics do to the world but it is about time we stop feeling helpless
about it. Being aware of the influence yet being in denial is what most of us live by. Although my experience has not been a first hand account, what I saw appalled me and made me feel helpless. Many addicts choose to live this way, in denial and in seek of an external diversion to knock them out of the spiral.

Dope Sick Love is one such documentary. Brent and Craig Renaud spent eighteen months following two couples on the streets of New York. These couples are homeless and each day begins with a quivering thirst to make another score while surviving the harsh streets. The power of addiction is documented.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home